Hello Brighton Ashtangis,
Here are some comments on Sharath’s conference this weekend:
Sundays conference was insightful as always. Sharath spoke a lot about asana and reviewed many things he has gone over before – but with so many new people in the shala, the transience of people makes it necessary to reiterate certain points often.
– When you do asanas, it is VERY Important to know the names of the asanas you perform and also how many vinyasas are in each asana.
– This is why we do led class, to understand vinyasa and when to inhale and when to exhale
-Breathing is extremely important…It doesn’t come automatically, but over time. You must concentrate – your mind should be with your practice
– Alignment is important…It comes properly through PRACTICE – no need to use props for alignment
– Practice makes man perfect
– Sharath stated that Guruji used to say, “Do an asana 1,000 times and then the asana becomes perfect.” Thus, the key is in doing the practice…
– If you are able to do all the asanas it doesn’t mean you are a perfect yogi. Yoga means to get enlightened – the mind, sense organs – you should control the sense organs
– Asana is the foundation, we start here. It will transform your minds, your thoughts will change; you will start yearning to learn more, what is yoga? Only possible through practice and reading books.
– This is a lifetime study, you MUST keep on studying.
– 1st with asanas we have to purify our body and mind.
– Yoga is Universal, anyone can do regardless of race or religion
– When you leave AYRI often people get distracted if doing self practice – Sharath offered this advice to those of us without teachers at home: “Think that Guruji is behind you, think I am there!”
– Jalandhara Bandha is only used when doing pranayama
– Uddiyana and Mula Bandha very important in the practice. Uddiyana bandha is located four inches below the navel; mula bandha is anus control.
– Bandhas will come slowly, after many years of practice
– Utpluthih is a very good asana to practice – helps tremendously in gaining mula bandha control
– Always breathe through your chest – do not breathe through your stomach
– Practice mula bandha even when you are not doing asana